According to a new study, a low fat vegetarian diet may be more helpful than traditional diets in controlling type 2 diabetes.
Researchers have found that 43% of patients with type 2 diabetes, who have adhered to a low fat vegan diet for 22 weeks, have reduced the need for medication to treat diabetes.
Among those with type 2 diabetes who follow the American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommended diet, this proportion is only 26%.
In addition, those who followed the vegetarian diet had significantly lower cholesterol levels and weight.
The vegetarian diet is plant-based and include vegetables, fruits, cereals, and beans.
Meat and dairy products are fasted.
But people who adhere to a vegan diet are at risk for vitamin B12 deficiency.
So they need to be supplemented with vitamin B12.
“This approach looks quite effective, and it has had a positive impact in all aspects-especially weight loss and lower cholesterol levels.”
Said Neil Barnard, associate professor of medicine at George Washington University in a press conference.
On the other hand, I hope this research will reignite interest in dietary preferences over medications for diabetes.
Barnard is also the chairman of the American Association of Medical Responsibilities for Medicine.
It is a non-profit organization that opposes animal research and promotes a vegetarian diet.
In this study, researchers compared the effects of a low fat vegan diet and the American Diabetes Association-recommended diet in reducing the need for drugs to control diabetes, kidney function, cholesterol levels, and more.
The results show that both diets can improve diabetes and lower unhealthy cholesterol levels.
But a low fat vegetarian diet can improve the situation even more.
Researchers say that a low fat vegetarian diet represents an important shift in the current diabetic diet because there are no restrictions on calories, carbohydrates, etc..
And some patients may be more likely to adhere to it.
- Why you should try a plant-based dietDo you want glowing skin and a healthy appearance? Are you looking to reduce waistline … Read more
- Balanced Vegan Diet : Healthy Eating as a veganThe number of vegans in the world is skyrocketing and nutritionists are struggling to inform … Read more
- 5 Reasons To Drink A Vegan Green SmoothieNot everyone gets excited at the thought of drinking a green smoothie. Yet there are … Read more
- Does Giving Up Milk Have Its Benefits?Vegans are giving up eating and using animal products, including milk. Yet in our modern … Read more
- Vegetarian Sources Of ProteinA lot of people wonder where they can find vegetarian sources of protein. Since protein … Read more
- Natural Alternative to sugarIs sugar killing us? Why not choose an alternative to sugar? Well, at least it … Read more