According to a new study, a low fat vegetarian diet may be more helpful than traditional diets in controlling type 2 diabetes.
Researchers have found that 43% of patients with type 2 diabetes, who have adhered to a low fat vegan diet for 22 weeks, have reduced the need for medication to treat diabetes.
Among those with type 2 diabetes who follow the American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommended diet, this proportion is only 26%.
In addition, those who followed the vegetarian diet had significantly lower cholesterol levels and weight.
The vegetarian diet is plant-based and include vegetables, fruits, cereals, and beans.
Meat and dairy products are fasted.
But people who adhere to a vegan diet are at risk for vitamin B12 deficiency.
So they need to be supplemented with vitamin B12.
“This approach looks quite effective, and it has had a positive impact in all aspects-especially weight loss and lower cholesterol levels.”
Said Neil Barnard, associate professor of medicine at George Washington University in a press conference.
On the other hand, I hope this research will reignite interest in dietary preferences over medications for diabetes.
Barnard is also the chairman of the American Association of Medical Responsibilities for Medicine.
It is a non-profit organization that opposes animal research and promotes a vegetarian diet.
In this study, researchers compared the effects of a low fat vegan diet and the American Diabetes Association-recommended diet in reducing the need for drugs to control diabetes, kidney function, cholesterol levels, and more.
The results show that both diets can improve diabetes and lower unhealthy cholesterol levels.
But a low fat vegetarian diet can improve the situation even more.
Researchers say that a low fat vegetarian diet represents an important shift in the current diabetic diet because there are no restrictions on calories, carbohydrates, etc..
And some patients may be more likely to adhere to it.
- High Quality Vegan Protein SourcesVegan Protein – is it possible to get a complete source from plants only? You … Read more
- 3 of the Best Vegan Cookie Recipes Ever!Vegan Cookie Recipes taste just as delicious and decadent as the non-vegan ones, and are … Read more
- The vegan pasta recipeThis Vegan Pasta is a staple in many kitchens. It is delicious, satisfying and has excellent … Read more
- Homemade Falafel RecipeWhat is falafel ? The falafel or faláfel is a croquette of chickpeas and spices, … Read more
- Why we have to eat gluten free vegan?People choose to eat gluten free vegan for a number of reasons. This may be … Read more
- Mashed Potato PancakesSweet hot pancakes! A soft and tasty potato pancake. So easy to prepare and most … Read more