Avocado health benefits are quite known to many health-conscious individuals around the world.
The avocado is the spherical, green-skinned fruit of the tree that is native to the Caribbean, South and Central America, South Asia and the tropical countries of Southeast Asia.
The avocado fruit has a large seed in its center, measuring about 5 centimeters in length.
Avocado tree belongs to the flowering plant Lauraceae.
The tree grows up to a height of 70 feet, and produces leaves that are alternatively-arranged.
The flowers of the tree are green-yellow in color and are approximately 5 to 10 millimeters in width.
Its mainly monounsaturated fat content serves as a vital staple in the diet of various groups where access to other foods rich in fat (i.e. meat, fish, milk products) is limited.
Avocado is typically eaten as a dessert but it is also added to a salad combo.
In parts of Latin America, it is chopped and added into salsa that gives it a rich and creamy flavor.
In parts of Asia, avocado is often consumed with condensed milk after a meal.
Also In some parts of the world, babies are often weaned on mashed avocado.
Avocado is a good source of the following:
Those using anti-depressant monoamine oxidase inhibitors should avoid eating avocados as they might have reactions.
People who are trying to lose weight should also avoid consuming large quantities of avocado as it is high in calories.
The following are the health benefits attributed to avocado:
- Avocado may help lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases by lowering bad cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- Avocado may help prevent and lower the risk of certain cancers, like prostate cancer and breast cancer.
- When applied topically, avocado may help in the treatment of certain skin disorders. It may help smoothen the skin.
- Avocado may help in the treatment of certain digestive problems and circulatory problems.
- Avocado may help enhance sexual prowess.
- It improves the body’s ability to absorb the antioxidant carotenoids that helps strengthen the immune system.