I have created a printable vegan shopping list because lots of people have a hard time understanding what vegan food is.
As you will see by this list, vegan food really isn’t that much different from what you normally keep in your kitchen.
The biggest change for you might be the whole grain products verses the refined products.
Changing to whole grain foods is essential for all people but particularly for vegans.
Whole grains provide you with complex carbohydrates and more protein compared to their refined counterparts.
The lists below contain suggestions.
You can choose what items you need based on personal taste and the recipes you are preparing.
Printable vegan shopping list:
- Whole wheat pasta, 100% whole grain
- Brown Rice
- Lentils, Green, Red & others
- Dried or Canned Beans, such as black, white, kidney, pinto, soy, garbanzo
- Split Peas, Back eyed peas
- Barley, hulled it healthier but pearled is okay
- Other Grains such as millet, bulgur wheat, spelt, farro
- Whole wheat Couscous
- Whole grain cereals such as Wheaties or Grape Nuts
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Vegetable broth
- Oils: Canola, Olive, Safflower (use sparingly)
- Vinegar: balsamic, red wine, cider, rice, etc.
- Canned soups: black bean, lentil, No Chicken Noodle Soup by Amy’s, vegetarian chili, tomato, etc.
- Canned goods: tomato paste, diced tomatoes, green chilies, pure pumpkin puree, etc
- Coconut Milk
- Honey & Agave Nectar
- Peanut butter, natural, low sugar
- Cooking Sherry or wine
- Jarred Spaghetti sauce (read the ingredients carefully)
- Natural peanut butter or almond butter
- Whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Thickener: Corn starch, tapioca starch, guar gum, etc.
- Brown sugar
- Raw or turbinado sugar
- Spices & fresh herbs: garlic, cumin, curry powder, paprika, chili powder, basil, thyme, oregano, etc.
- Whole wheat flour (store in freezer)
- Flax seeds, whole
- Chia Seeds
- Raisins, dried fruits
- Nuts: cashews, almonds, pecans, pine, walnuts, etc. (raw is healthier)(use sparingly to reduce fat)
- Seeds: sunflower, sesame (use sparingly to reduce fat)
- Popcorn (Smart Balance uses a non-dairy butter)
- Granola bars such as Lara Bars (read labels carefully)
- Nutritional Yeast (Whole Foods or online)
- TVP -textured vegetable protein- ( Bob’s Red Mills )
- Salsa (read the label carefully)
- EnerG Egg replacer
- Non-dairy milk (soy, almond, or rice)
- Orange Juice or other 100% fruit juice or nectar
- Non-dairy creamer
- Vegan butter such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance (use sparingly to reduce fat)
- Pure maple syrup (refrigerate after opening)
- Jam (check for low sugar) (no jelly because contains gelatin)
- Whole wheat bread (I store bread in the refrigerator or freezer)
- Whole wheat English muffins
- Vegan cream cheese such as Tofutti
- Vegan yogurt such as Whole Soy & Co. or Silk
- Tofu (firm or silken)
- Whole wheat tortillas (can be frozen)
- Lemon & lime juice
- Soy sauce low sodium or Braggs Liquid Aminos
- Miso Paste (mellow miso is used for miso soup)
- Almond butter
- Minced Ginger
- Curry paste
- Dairy free Pesto sauce
- Salad Dressing, dairy free
- Vegan cheese such as Daiya
- Vegenaise (vegan mayonnaise)
- Vegan meats such as Tofurkey turkey slices or marinated tempeh, sausage, etc.
- Seitan (wheat gluten based vegan meat)
- Ginger root
- Fresh herbs
- Fruit: apples, oranges, pears, melons, grapes, berries, bananas, plums, peaches, mangoes, grapefruit, pineapple, kiwi, papaya, dates, figs, etc.
- Dried Fruits
- Vegetables: lettuce, cucumbers, celery, asparagus, squash, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, leafy greens, carrots, beets, green beans, cabbage, eggplant, etc.
- Sweet potatoes
- Onions, green onions and shallots
- Frozen, pre-made Burritos, dairy & meat free, such as Amy’s Black Bean burritos, Indian Spinach Tofu wraps, Breakfast burrito or Teriyaki wrap
- Vegan chicken patties and nuggets such as Boca Original
- Dairy free waffles such as Van’s Blueberry waffles
- Frozen berries
- Frozen vegetables
- Frozen meal starters
- Meatless meatballs such as Trader Joe’s or Boca
- Pizza, no cheese or soy cheese, such as Amy’s or Trader Joe’s
- Frozen vegan burgers such as Boca or Morningstar Vegan Grillers or Trader Joe’s Masala Burgers
- Dairy free ice cream
- Frozen fruit pops