One of the foods that many people think they will have to give up, when going vegan, is yogurt.
As most traditional yogurts are dairy based but there are now many vegan yogurt brands and vegan yogurt cultures.
When I was vegetarian, i used to love yogurt with granola and fruit.
I use it in my smoothies all the time.
But I also liked the health benefits of yogurt. Fermented foods like yogurt are extremely good for the gut and are full of beneficial body flora and probiotics.
They also aid in digesting and build the immune system.
So yogurt was not something i wanted to lose…and it is so yummy.
Luckily I found that all vegan / non dairy yogurts have beneficial flora and probiotics on levels similar to dairy yogurts.
And they taste just as good.
When you need vegan yogurt you have two basic choices: you can buy it or make it.
There are a lot of brands of non dairy yogurt on the market now. Like Trader Joe’s, Nancy’s, Stonyfield O’Soy Yogurt and coconut Dairy Free to name a few.
There are two main things to look out for when choosing one: sugar and carageenan (or other sources of MSG).
A lot of non-dairy yogurts contain quite a lot of sugar per serving, which doesn’t make it very healthy.
Personally, I like to go for Nancy’s Plain and then I mix in my own sweeteners or flavorings (fruit, vanilla, maple syrup, orange oil, etc.).
Also make sure you check the ingredients to make sure there are no animal products, like gelatin, casein etc.
As they are sometimes present in soy products.
Making vegan yogurt recipe at home is in my opinion the best option.
It’s easy, fun and cheap…and you can make your own flavors.
To make yogurt at home you are going to need a few things.
Firstly you need some soy milk and some yogurt culture.
If you have a yogurt maker then follow instructions and put mixture into your yogurt maker instead of the oven.
If you need a yogurt maker, this is a list of some of the best and cheap machines.
“Rating and prices are based on Amazon data to help make your decision easier.”
So can vegans eat yogurt ?
Yes they can..and they have as much choice as anyone.
Is yogurt vegan ?
It depends. In order for yogurt to be vegan, the ingredients must be vegan. Always check labels before buying.
Is yogurt vegetarian ?
Yes it is, if we are only talking about milk and yogurt culture.
You May Also Like : Are Oreos vegan?
Here’s a Simple Vegan Yogurt Recipe
Vegan Yogurt RecipeCourse: Life StyleCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
A simple Vegan Yogurt Recipe
1 container of soy milk 32oz / 946ml
How To Cook
- Pre-heat oven to 110 F or 43 C
- Put soy milk in a pan and heat up. Stir continually until milk starts to boil. Turn off heat and let milk cool down. stir occasionally to avoid a skin forming.
- When the soy milk is warm to the touch add the vegan yogurt culture and stir in.
- Transfer mixture to a non metallic oven safe container and cover.
- Put into oven, turn off oven and leave for 10 -12 hours.
- This method is best to do overnight so you can wake up to delicious creamy vegan yogurt.
READ : Vegan Yogurt Smoothie Recipe
Make It Your Own with Flavor
Add your own flavor to your yogurt with fruit, berries, nuts and syrups.
Berries like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are perfect to mix with your home made vegan yogurt.
You can also find many toppings and syrups that are vegan, in fact most fruit based toppings and syrups are vegan, just check the ingredients
If you want to make chocolate yogurt just mix some dates, cacao and a little water in a blender to make a chocolates sauce…then mix this in with your yogurt.
There are so many different flavors you can make, it’s a lot of fun making and finding new flavors for your yogurt.
Making vegan yogurt at home is really easy and much cheaper than buying it, so have fun with it and see what you can create…..
Thanks for reading and I hope you found this post useful.
Please leave a comment telling what you thought and if you have made your own vegan yogurt at home
- When Vegan Moms Are Unable To BreastfeedJump to RecipePrint RecipeMost women, vegan or not, choose to breastfeed knowing that breast milk is the […] More
- Vegan Diet Advice For Nursing MomsJump to RecipePrint RecipeIt’s very important for vegan nursing moms to eat well, as calorie […] More
- Should I Become a VegetarianJump to RecipePrint RecipeShould I Become a Vegetarian may be a question that you’ve been pondering for some time? This […] More
- Impact of Going VeganJump to RecipePrint RecipeImpact of Going Vegan : One of the reasons why being vegan […] More
- The Vegan Nutritarian ChecklistJump to RecipePrint Recipe Nutritarian checklist When I stared my transition from meat eater to […] More
- Vegetarian or Vegan?Jump to RecipePrint Recipe Do I want to go vegetarian or vegan? What really is […] More