If you have any questions about this recipe, feel free to let me know in the comments.
This recipe can also be made in advance, and the sauce, broiled eggplant and mozzarella sauce can also be prepped ahead of time, ready to assemble when you are.
Eggplant Parmesan RecipeCourse: Vegan RecipeCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Medium
Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Adapted from Vegan Italian Kitchen
Makes 8 slices
3 medium-sized eggplants, skins on, sliced ¼ inch thick
Coarse salt (for sprinkling. I use Kosher salt for this.)
Olive oil, for brushing tops of eggplant (optional)
1 (26oz) jar marinara sauce or 3¼ cups of tomato sauce of your choice.
2 tablespoons of brown sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons of bread crumbs
Mozzarella Sauce (use entire 1½ cups)
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
How To Cook
- Wash and slice eggplant and place in a colander. Sprinkle generously with salt and let the eggplant sit and “sweat” for 30 minutes.
(“Sweating” the eggplant is exactly what it sounds like: it’s allowing the natural moisture from the eggplant to come out, reducing some of the bitterness in it. The purpose of the salt is to assist with drawing out the moisture.)
- Meanwhile, prepare the tomato sauce of your choice either by heating it up on the stove or making from scratch. If you are adding the brown sugar, do so once the sauce has been made and is heated thoroughly.
- While tomato sauce is simmering, preheat oven to broil. Lightly grease two large baking sheets.
- Once the eggplant has finished “sweating” (if you go over 30 minutes, that’s fine), wipe the eggplant with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Arrange the eggplant on the baking sheets and brush with oil, if desired. Broil for 4 to 6 minutes until browned on top. You do not need to broil both sides; just the one is fine. Always set a timer when broiling, even if you have to do it for a minute at a time. Food can go from perfect to ruined in seconds when broiling at high heat.
- Once all eggplant slices have been broiled, lower the oven temperature to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan and assemble. If you are making in advance but not cooking until the following day, assemble and refrigerate overnight and cook at 375°F for 45 minutes to an hour before serving.
- Assembly :
- Arrange half of the eggplant slices, overlapping them in the bottom of the greased pan (they should cover every area of the bottom).
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the bread crumbs.
- Layer on half of the tomato sauce, followed by half of the mozzarella sauce.
- Repeat: remaining eggplant slices, remaining bread crumbs, tomato sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil, slice and serve.