French onion soup recipe is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served with croutons and cheese on top of a large piece of bread.
Although ancient in origin, the dish underwent a resurgence of popularity in the 1960s in the United States due to a greater interest in French cuisine.
This stunning vegan french onion soup recipe is pure comfort in a bowl.
The key to perfecting this dish lies in having a little patience
How to make French Onion Soup
1 hour, 15 minutes
- 2 medium yellow onions; peeled, sliced thinly, then chopped in half
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3-4 large croutons per serving.
- 1 cup vegan mozza shreds, distributed evenly over each serving.
- In the past I have used Daiya shreds, but my current favourite is to slice their Jack Wedge thinly and put a couple slices on top of each serving- that’s what I did for the soup pictured.
- In a large soup pot, melt down your margarine on medium heat.
- Add your onions which you have already diligently sliced thinly and cut in half like a boss, stirring ’til coated.
- Proceed to add garlic, maple syrup, rosemary, thyme, salt, and cover.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and stir occasionally until onions are translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Splash in soy sauce and the little dash of liquid smoke at this point (if you have a vegan “beef” broth, you can skip this step).
- Deglaze with red wine. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, set your oven to broil.
- Place your ramekins on a sheet pan.
- Portion soup into ramekins, and top with croutons, then top with your vegan cheese.
What cheese for french onion soup?
It’s ideal to mostly cover the crouton pieces so they don’t burn when you broil it.
Set in the oven to broil for about 2-3 minutes, or until your vegan cheese is bubbly and starts to brown.
Watch carefully so as not to burn.
This is NOT the time to drink the rest of your wine and have a 90s dance party.
Carefully remove from the oven with TWO OVEN MITTS ON YOUR HANDS SERIOUSLY.
I’VE BURNT MYSELF TOO MANY TIMES.