A tasty combination of spicy, sweet, and tangy, these vegan poppers make a great snack and finger-food dish.
Creamy, crunchy and full of flavor!
For a fully raw appetizer, just omit the phyllo cups and use the jalapeno and bell peppers. Enjoy!
Vegan Jalapeno Popper Recipe :
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, soaked in water for 4 or more hours
- Jalapeno ,diced
- Mini bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt;
- 7 dates, soaked in water for 15 minutes if dry
- 1 cup fresh figs, chopped (or, dried figs soaked in water)juice from half a lime.
- 1 package phyllo dough, or phyllo cups.
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Jalapeno, seeded and halved mini bell peppers, seeded and halved Chives, to garnish
- Prepare the macadamia nut-cheese by adding the soaked and drained macadamia nuts to a food processor and processing until smooth. Alternatively, you can add them to a blender with a small amount of water and blend until smooth, adding more water as necessary.
- Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the diced jalapeno, diced mini bell peppers, garlic, olive oil, ACV and sea salt to the bowl and stir in until well combined.
- Prepare the fig sauce by adding the dates, figs and lime juice to a food processor and processing until smooth, or a little chunky.
- You will have to stop to scrape down the sides a few times. Add more lime juice or a small amount of water if needed.
- Put in a bowl and set in the fridge.
- Prepare the phyllo cups (if not using pre-made cups), by cutting a 5 inch X 5 inch square from the phyllo sheets.
- Roll up and put the remainder of the sheets in a sealed bag in the fridge.
- Lightly oil a pan with olive oil and lay one sheet of the phyllo square on the pan.
- Lightly brush oil on top of the sheet and top with another sheet. Repeat this process, using about 15 sheets.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the phyllo square into three strips.
- Lightly brush a muffin pan with olive oil and add about 7 strips to each muffin place, setting one on top of the other, forming cups. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before stuffing.
- Add the macadamia-nut cheese mixture to the cups, halved jalapeno and halved mini bell peppers.
- Top with the fig sauce and a sprinkle of chives.
Other options to change it up:
The amount of jalapeno you add is up to your liking.
They can be left out and replaced with more bell peppers.
But the combination of all the ingredients in this recipe really tones down the spice.
I left some seeds in the jalapeno and it really compliments the whole thing.
I highly recommend macadamia nuts for this because they are very creamy, But, pine nuts or cashews would work as well.
To soften the peppers and bring out more spice, drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Enjoy your jalapeno popper recipe.