Halloween has got to be one of the hardest times to be a parent of a vegan child. If you are like me you do not want your child to miss out on anything, but trick or treating for a vegan parent is a nightmare. There is just no good way to explain to your child why you are taking all of their none vegan candy away, but last year I was watching a YouTube video of this fully raw family with two very young kids, and they had an amazing idea. They called it the switch witch. In their version the switch witch would come and take away all the candy and trade it with raw treats. That did not fit into what I really needed but I loved the idea, so I changed it to fit the needs of my family at the time.
Introducing the Switch Witch vegan candy.
The Switch Witch is a special witch like Santa, and the tooth fairy that comes in the middle of the night and takes away all the none vegan candy (leaving the vegan ones) and gives it to kids who would not have had any treats at Halloween (or toss it away, or put it in your compost, whatever you choose to do with it. I donate mine to the food bank, as I feel just tossing it away is very disrespectful to the animal who died for it, but this choice is up to you). Then she leaves behind her switch witch treat balls
So what is vegan candy Switch Witch (see recipe below).
Switch Witch Treat Balls Recipe:
- 1 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp agave sweeter
- 1 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 3-4 drops of green food color
- 15 Whole Almonds
- 6 oz Vegan Chocolate
- Vegan sprinkles of your choice. I like chocolate myself, or cocoa powder
1. Add the Coconut, melted Coconut Butter, Maple Syrup, Vanilla Extract, food color and Salt to a medium bowl. Mix well.
2. Take an almond and some of the coconut mix and form a ball of coconut around the almond.
3. Freeze for 25 minutes, or until firm and solid.
4. Melt your Chocolate using the microwave. Cook the Chocolate at 30 second intervals, stirring in between. Once the mixture is 60% melted, stir the until completely melted.
5. Remove the Coconut balls from the freezer, and moving quickly place one ball into the bowl of melted Chocolate. Use two forks to turn the balls, until it is coated in Chocolate on all sides. Remove the Ball from the bowl, let any excess chocolate drip off, roll in sprinkles or cocoa powder and place it onto a plate lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining Balls.
6. Place the bars in the fridge for 5-10 minutes, to allow the Chocolate to harden.
Now fill treat bags and let the switch witch make her magic happen.