I love carrot cake. A lot.
However, as traditional carrot cake is dense with ingredients like eggs, sugar, flour and oil – not to mention the esteemed and delicious cream-cheese frosting.
My love for carrot cake fell by the wayside when I adopted my vegan, gluten-free diet.
So, when I found this recipe for vegan, gluten-free and RAW carrot cake, my mind was blown.
This carrot cake is so amazing and is 100% raw, featuring a mock “cream-cheese” frosting that is to die for.
In fact, when I made this vegan carrot cake for a family gathering last week, it was the center of attention; even my Dad, who is a bigger carrot-cake fan than I am, raved about it!
Honestly, I’d love to pawn this recipe off as my own because it’s so good, but I’ve just decided to give a shout-out to its original creator, The Uncooked vegan Kitchen blog.
However, I am going to go ahead and post the recipe here, so that you don’t have to hunt it down elsewhere.
I’ve also simplified the “Instructions” portion of the recipe to make the steps a bit easier to follow.
2 1/2 cup shredded carrots (about 3-4 large carrots)
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
Cashew Cream Frosting
1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp raw agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla
juice of 1/2 lemon
pinch of salt
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
To Make the Carrot Cake:
1) Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper
2) Shred carrots; set aside
3) Blend together walnuts and dates in a food processor. Blend in coconut, spices and salt
4) Add shredded carrots to mixture; blend together well
To Make “Cream Cheese” Cashew Frosting
1) Drain and rinse soaked cashews
2) Combine cashews, water, agave nectar, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor (NOTE: Make sure to blend this mixture really well, until it is really smooth. For me, this took about 4-5 minutes)
3) Add melted coconut oil to mixture; blend well
Putting it Together