What is falafel ?
The falafel or faláfel is a croquette of chickpeas and spices, very typical in Middle Eastern cuisine.Also falafel are vegan.
If you want to do it at home, it is very simple and with ingredients very easy to find.
Here I show you how to make it fried (which is how it is usually eaten) or baked for a healthier option.
If you want to know how to do it, read on …
Recipe for falafel
Falafel ingredients (for about 25 pellets):
- 1/2 kilo of dried chickpeas.
- A handful of fresh parsley.
- A handful of fresh cilantro.
- Chopped onion.
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of chemical yeast.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Olive oil (if it is going to be fried)
- A handful of fresh marjoram (optional).
How to make falafel:
Leave the chickpeas at least one night to soak.
Pour the chickpeas (drained), onion, coriander, parsley, marjoram and garlic in a large bowl.
Crush with the blender until it has a sandy texture.
Add the rest of the spices and yeast, mix everything well with a spatula or clean hands.
Crush and let stand for 30 minutes.
In a pan:
Put a pan with plenty of oil, covering the falafels. While the oil is heating, we make balls with the dough, and then crush them a little.
When the oil is hot, they are poured into the pan.
When they are golden brown, they are turned over so that they brown well on all sides.
Once browned on both sides, they are removed and left on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
In the oven:
Put the oven to heat while you are making the balls, crushing them a little, that are not completely round.
Cover the tray with baking paper and distribute the balls.
The time will vary according to the oven, because each oven is a world.
I usually leave 10 minutes at 220º, and once this time has elapsed I turn them over and leave them 10 more minutes.
This is how gold is left on both sides. But go checking if in your oven they browned before.
If you make them fried they will be something more juicy, but in the oven they are also very rich, so if you want a healthier version, choose to bake them.
In the case of baking them, I advise you not to bake the entire batch at once, only those that you are going to consume, since if you do all of them and then you have to reheat them on another occasion, if they remain drier.
Make only those that you are going to consume in the oven and the rest of the balls you can freeze, take them out when you need them and make them without the need to defrost them
How to serve falafel ?
- Mashed Potato PancakesSweet hot pancakes! A soft and tasty potato pancake. And so easy to prepare. And … Read more
- Vegan substitute for eggEggs are seen as essential for use in a wide variety of recipes, but it … Read more
- The vegan recipe pastaPasta is a staple in many kitchens. It is delicious, satisfying and has excellent flavors. So simple … Read more
- What you wear is who you areClothing is an entire industry that has become a basic necessity for luxury in the … Read more
- Healthy and satisfying energy snackWhy feed our kids with high-sugar and empty nutritional snacks? Why not indulge ourselves with … Read more
- Guide to growing potatoes in the gardenPotatoes are "spoiled" tubers that require a lot of reference. The potato family contains a … Read more